Thursday, June 23, 2011

FIRST POST- squid hat!

Hi everyone!

I revamped my entire blog. I originally meant for this blog to be a record or journal of some kind of my weight loss/six pack goal, with additional crafts and food on the side. But after wanting to share the process of making my crafts with my friends, I thought it would be better to dedicate this blog solely to arts and crafts. So here it is, the very first post featuring... *drumroll*

A SQUID HAT! :D


Frontal sideways view

Full view. The two longest tentacles go down to my waist!
Sideways
From the back! 





As you can see, the squid hat is large and eyecatching C: I made this for a friend, actually. We went to Six Flags and she really liked the squid hat they had there, but due to a stern Korean grandpa (LOL inside joke), we ended up only having enough time to ride the attractions and didn't get to play for the squid hat. So, i though I would make her one instead. A much cuter/funnier one at that ;D Hahaha so here it is, in all its green glory (my friend's favorite color is green, but I will definitely try a new color next time).

Designed as half plush, half hat, I have stuff the top half of the squid's head with polyfill stuffing to prevent it from sagging or flopping over. The stuffing is held in place by sewing a regular hat underneath the squid hat. I used Clearkid's hat tutorial and ear flaps tutorial to make this hat. The bottom yellow hat, which you can't see from these four pictures, was made from her hat tutorial but the green squid hat I made by using two triangle like pieces, and sewing the... triangle ear things (what do you call those anyways?) on. I also drew 10 tentacles (two long ones, 8 small ones) from the ear flaps pattern to get the shape I want. It worked out quite well! ^.^ The eyes were made using Coconut-lanes mochi tutorial. I may try simply gathering the edge of a single circle piece of fabric, tightening it, and sewing it to make the eyes next time.

Tutorial and process coming in the next post! Which I will write up... right now :)


1 comment:

  1. thanks a lot for this tutorial even is years ago, but it help me a lot, great work! cute too, hope to see more creative from you. it really nice.

    ReplyDelete